Labels

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

"I Am From There" a poem by Mahmoud Darwish of Palestine

A Palestinian girl takes a closer look at cherry blossom at a park in central Hebron, in the West Bank


I Am From There
Mahmoud Darwish - Palestine

I am from there and I have memories.
I was born, as all people are born.
I have a mother,
and a house with many windows.
I have brothers, friends,
and a prison with a cold window.
Mine is the wave, snatched by seagulls.
I have my own view,
and an extra blade of grass.
Mine is the moon at the ends of speech,
and the blessings of birds,
and an immortal olive tree.
I passed over this land before the swords
Turned its body into a table.
I am from here.
I return the sky to her mother,
when she weeps her mother.
I cry to make myself known,
to a returning cloud.
I learned all the words befitting of the court of blood,
so that I can I break the rule.
I learned all the words, and dismantled them,
To create a single word: homeland…
[Original Arabic]: 
أنا من هناك
محمود درويش – فلسطين
أنا من هناك. ولي ذكرياتٌ . ولدت كما تولد الناس. لي والدة
وبيتٌ كثير النوافذِ. لي إخوةٌ. أصدقاء. وسجنٌ بنافذة باردهْ.
ولي موجةٌ خطفتها النوارس. لي مشهدي الخاص. لي عشبةٌ زائدهْ
ولي قمرٌ في أقاصي الكلام، ورزقُ الطيور، وزيتونةٌ خالدهْ
مررتُ على الأرض قبل مرور السيوف على جسدٍ حوّلوه إلى مائدهْ.
أنا من هناك. أعيد السماء إلى أمها حين تبكي السماء على أمها،
وأبكي لتعرفني غيمةٌ عائدهْ.
تعلّمتُ كل كلام يليقُ بمحكمة الدم كي أكسر القاعدهْ
تعلّمتُ كل الكلام، وفككته كي أركب مفردةً واحدهْ
…هي: الوطن

No comments:

Post a Comment