Labels

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dear President Obama … I hope you won't remain silent: In an open letter, a Palestinian boy describes how life has changed since settlers took part of his family's home

Video: Rebekah Wingert-Jabi, Julia Bacha, Just Vision Link to video: My Neighbourhood: a Palestinian boy's view of Israeli settlements
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/17/dear-president-obama-palestinian-letter
Mohammed El Kurd
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 17 March 2013

Dear President Obama,

I am 14 and live in the Palestinian Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood in East Jerusalem. Almost four years ago my family and I were evicted from part of our home by Israeli settlers, backed by Israeli court decisions. The process has made life almost unbearable for me and tens of thousands of Palestinians. Settlers are working towards Jewish control of all of East Jerusalem, at times using violence against Palestinians.

This was once a beautiful neighbourhood. Everybody was so close, and before part of my house was evicted, I was never afraid of going to sleep. We used to have no worries. Now it doesn't feel like a Palestinian neighbourhood any more. All the signs are in Hebrew, and the music too.

The people who've been evicted have lost financially and emotionally. My father has stopped going to work for almost a year, because it was so crowded and dangerous and every day there was tension and violence, so he couldn't just leave us alone in the house with the settlers...READ MORE

[AS ALWAYS PLEASE GO TO THE LINK TO READ GOOD ARTICLES IN FULL: HELP SHAPE ALGORITHMS (and conversations) THAT EMPOWER DECENCY, DIGNITY, JUSTICE & PEACE... and hopefully Palestine]

No comments:

Post a Comment