Labels

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sherri Muzher's ESCAPE TO A WORLD OF PALESTINIAN SURPRISES: Artist Steve Sabella

.::. PALESTINIAN SURPRISES.::.Artist Steve Sabella
Born in Jerusalem, Steve Sabella was named “An Artist to Watch,” by the ArtTactic Middle Eastern Report in 2010. The recipient of the Ellen Auerbach Award (2008) by the Akademie der Künste (Academy of the Arts) in Berlin, the gifted artist was commissioned for the inauguration of MATHAF: Arab Museum of Modern Art in Doha Qatar.

Now based between London and Berlin, Sabella’s artwork Till the End (2004 - photo emulsion on Jerusalem stone) entered the permanent British Museum collection in London. Sabella talks about this artwork: "So I ask myself today, whether the images on the stones were early visual prophecies about what was happening to Jerusalem and its transformation into an image (eventually disappearing) and how in many ways many of these images accompanied me from childhood."

To see this unique and creative artwork of stones, please visit: http://www.stevesabella.com/end.html
"At each place I visited, images started to emerge on surfaces of stones--it was as if they were revealing distant memories. I picked up a stone from every place, and at the same time I photographed an image of the place."

"I later on printed that image on the stone; in effect each place had its image on it I tried to preserve what was left, and if there was nothing left, I tried to imagine how the place looked in the past."

No comments:

Post a Comment