Labels

Sunday, November 14, 2010

My letter to the NYTimes RE I Believe I Can Fly by Thomas L. Friedman

RE: I Believe I Can Fly by Thomas L. Friedman
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/opinion/14friedman.html?ref=opinion

Dear Editor,

I think Friedman makes a good point in "I Believe I Can Fly" about climate-deniers, Republicans, and really any one and every one with the wrong priorities plus the power and/or the podium to do real damage with their ideas. BUT I think Friedman's approach to Israel is wrong. Very wrong- dangerously wrong....

Insisting that Israel requires a Jewish majority in order to survive helps shape harmful polices on both sides: Jewish Israelis are being motivated to demonize and evict more Palestinians, while the persecuted and impoverished Palestinians are being convinced that huge families plus religious extremism will magically free Palestine from "the river to the sea."

The two state solution to once and for all end the Israel/Palestine conflict for everyone's sake must be based on respecting the rule of fair and just laws- and universal basic human rights, regardless of any one's supposed race or religion.


Sincerely,
Anne Selden Annab
The American Task Force on Palestine (ATFP) Condemns Israel's East Jerusalem Settlement Expansion Plan, Calls on US to Act


ATFP: Building Palestine, the Indispensable State for Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment