& George Bisharat's Israel and Palestine: A true one-state solution
Delighted to see such articulate and informative Palestinian and Palestinian-American voices popping up in your pages, clearly speaking up for Palestine and peace.
Clearly negotiations need to be focused in on honoring and fully respecting international law and basic human rights- including but not not limited to the Palestinian refugees' very real right to return to original homes and lands.
The Arab Peace Initiative is an amazing breakthrough and opportunity to stop the conflict once and for all for everyone's sake... In any case- one state or two it is obvious that conscientious Palestinians world wide are prepared to imagine a just and lasting peace- and help make it a reality (for everyone's sake.)
Anne Selden Annab
Emanating from the conviction of the Arab countries that a military solution to the conflict will not achieve peace or provide security for the parties, the council:
1. Requests Israel to reconsider its policies and declare that a just peace is its strategic option as well.
2. Further calls upon Israel to affirm:
I- Full Israeli withdrawal from all the territories occupied since 1967, including the Syrian Golan Heights, to the June 4, 1967 lines as well as the remaining occupied Lebanese territories in the south of Lebanon.
II- Achievement of a just solution to the Palestinian refugee problem to be agreed upon in accordance with U.N. General Assembly Resolution 194.
III- The acceptance of the establishment of a sovereign independent Palestinian state on the Palestinian territories occupied since June 4, 1967 in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, with East Jerusalem as its capital.
3. Consequently, the Arab countries affirm the following:
I- Consider the Arab-Israeli conflict ended, and enter into a peace agreement with Israel, and provide security for all the states of the region.
II- Establish normal relations with Israel in the context of this comprehensive peace.
4. Assures the rejection of all forms of Palestinian patriation which conflict with the special circumstances of the Arab host countries.
5. Calls upon the government of Israel and all Israelis to accept this initiative in order to safeguard the prospects for peace and stop the further shedding of blood, enabling the Arab countries and Israel to live in peace and good neighbourliness and provide future generations with security, stability and prosperity.
6. Invites the international community and all countries and organisations to support this initiative.